Thursday, October 15, 2009

Broken Window

I suppose it was inevitable, we have 2 boys after all. I did think it would take a little longer before they started breaking windows, though. Our first casualty came the day Matthew flashed his best "I'm going to be VERY naughty" smile, charged our front window and hit it as hard as he could. We think his intent was just to hit the window given that he was just as surprised as we were that he succeeded in breaking it. Fortunately, he only had a small cut to show for his folly. Thus ensued the loss of a smoothie, a trip to the doctor, a long wait in the waiting room, the cleaning of the wound, application of glue, the failure of the glue, the home gluing job and an introduction to the concept of good choices and bad choices. Had we not had this experience, I would scoff at the idea of telling a two year old that he had made a bad choice as opposed to introducing some appropriately terrifying punishment. Given his mortified expression when he realized he had, in fact, messed up in a real way (and his intense anxiety that the window be repaired ASAP!), I think the concept of bad choice actually put it all in perspective in a way I would not have expected. That, and he really didn't enjoy having the nurse flush his cut...

Stewart and I learned a couple of things from this event, the most useful being that super glue contains the same active ingredient that hospital skin glue does, thus we can fix any future similar injuries at home (not that this will ever happen again, of course....). We also learned about window repair and are very grateful to Ana's husband, Oscar, for fixing the window the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment